The Definition of Cognitive Development is the process of the development of children understanding of the world as a function of age and experience. Development of Cognition and Cognitive AbilityCognition is the process of knowing as well as what is known. It includes “knowledge” which is innate/ inborn and present in the form of brain structures and functions. We ‘remember’ the physical environment in which we were brought up and develop perceptual constructs or knowledge accordingly seeing, hearing, sounds etc
What s Cognitive Development?
Best definition of Cognitive development is the developme nt of the ‘thinking’ and ‘organizing systems’ of the brain. It involves
• Language • Mental imagery • Thinking • Reasoning • Problem solving • Memory development
Disciplines Interested in the Study and Use of Cognition
The interest in human cognition and its development has been developed and applied in a variety of scientific disciplines:
• Anthropologists focus on, and measure, how cognition develops in different cultures.
• Sociologists study how cognitions are acquired and used in various groups and institutional settings.
• Computer scientists target to create ‘artificial intellige nce’. Psychologists are interested in a better understanding of the human cognitive ability and potentials, how it is utilized in different situations and at different stages.
Nature of Cognition
The very word cognitive refers to the process of knowing as well as the known. Cognition thus, has at least two main aspects/ features i.e.,
i. Cognition means ‘mental processes’ that people use to gather/ acquire knowledge, and
ii. Cognition refers to the knowledge that has been gathered/ acquired subsequently used in mental processes
Cognition and Knowledge
• There is probably no aspect of human life and behavior that is void of all sorts of cognition…not even sleep
• All human intellectual activities and potentials, i.e. thinking,
Mental processes Knowledge communicating, problem solving, and learning require mental processes and knowledge