The adrenal cortex consists of three different hormones portions regions, each region produce different type of hormones. • Chemically, all these cortical hormones are steroid Hormones of The Adrenal Medulla.
• Secreted by the outermost region of the adrenal cortex.
• The main/ principal hormone of mineralocorticoid is aldosterone, which acts to store/ conserve sodium ions and water in the body.
• Secreted by the middle region of the adrenal cortex.
• The main/ principal hormone of glucocorticoid is cortisol, which increases blood glucose/ sugar level in the body.
• Also known as the sex hormones.
• These are secreted by the innermost region of the adrenal cortex.
• Adrenal cortex hormones, androgens (male hormones) and estrogens (female hormones), are secreted in minimal amounts in both sexes, but their effect is usually influenced by the hormones from the testes and ovaries. In females, the masculinization effect may become more evident after menopause. This occursbecause the estrogen levels from the ovaries decrease.